It’s been a long-standing tradition that certain restaurants have offered senior citizens “early bird” specials in order to attract the early diners. And, as the Boomer population represents a growing share of consumer spending, more retailers and entertainment venues offer senior discounts than ever before. These senior discounts allow family caregivers more options for outings for their aging parents or grandchildren.
So, think beyond your local dinner buffet and get going with some of these money-saving ideas:
- Take in a movie. Movie theaters have a time-honored tradition of offering early matinée discounts and many venues offer senior discounts during prime movie-going time. Members of the Regal Entertainment Group, AMC/Loews, and National Amusements theater chains offer senior discounts as high as 30%.
- Get amused. It’s fun to go to amusement parks with your grandkids, even if you may feel like just watching while they ride the roller coaster. Locally, Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Six Flags Arlington offer senior discounts.
- Go green. Does “home on the range” mean the driving range for you? Many golf clubs offer senior discounts, either on seasonal or occasional bases. The discounts and details vary from club to club, and you may have to play at off-peak times, but it’s often worth adjusting your schedule to get the discount.
- Dive in. Swimming is not only fun, but it’s also terrific exercise. Some community pools and country clubs offer senior discounts. Many YMCA’s also provide lower rates for those over a certain age.
- Catch up on culture. Museums and art galleries can be wonderful places to lose yourself for a few hours. You’re surrounded by beautiful, challenging, intriguing works that you can view at your own pace. You can linger over those that fascinate you and glance at those that don’t speak to you. Many museums offer discounts to attract older patrons; if you are interested in seeing a certain exhibit, contact the museum or gallery to see what it offers.
Don’t stop with these suggestions. For example, many organizations such as the American Association of Retired Persons and the American Automobile Association have arrangements with vendors and companies to provide discounts to their members. Always check to see if the entertainment option you are considering is associated with one of your member organizations.