Valentine’s Day is around the corner and everyone wants to know they are special. Caregivers show their compassion for their aging parents and loved ones every day, but this special time of the year is a fun way to show that love in small ways —- all day long with a few Valentine’s ideas. How will you show your special senior that they mean the world to you on this special day?
“Love is the irresistible desire to be desired irresistibly.” – Robert Frost
A few fun and funky Heartwarming Valentine’s ideas for seniors include:
- Begin the day with heart-shaped pancakes and strawberries.
- Tuck a few candied hearts in the sugar bowl for morning coffee.
- Write a message on the mirror with a bar of soap, then gently wipe away the soap residue. The morning’s shave or hot shower will reveal your “secret message”.
- Plan a mid-day treat such as an indoor picnic or trip to a local tea room.
“A simple ‘I love you’ means more than money.” — Frank Sinatra
- Enjoy an afternoon of songs and ballads by Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley or Barry Manilow!
- Ask Mom or Dad about their early dates or first loves.
- Invite a neighbor or friend over for coffee and “sweet” rolls.
- Watch a sappy movie such as “Love Story” or “The Way We Were” or “Casablanca”.
- Take an afternoon walk looking for heart-shaped leaves or other Valentine’s symbols in nature.
- Read a few of your favorite love poems.
Sure, some of these ideas are corny and something you wouldn’t do on a normal day. But, it’s Valentine’s Day!