It’s the season for sparklers, parades and fireworks and July Fourth fireworks can light up the summer night’s sky with a beautiful display. However, fireworks can cause injury if not used with caution. We’ve added a few safety tips for this season’s display.
Firework Safety Tips
- Only use fireworks outside.
- Pay attention to local fire warnings. If your local fire department has declared a high fire risk, do not light fireworks. Stray fireworks can ignite forest fires.
- Keep a fire extinguisher, a bucket of water, or a hose within reach when launching fireworks.
- Never drink and launch. Always have a designated launcher.
- If a firework doesn’t light, do not attempt to re-light it. Wait 20 minutes and then soak the dud in a bucket of water.
- Always wear eye protection when launching fireworks.
- Before launching fireworks, make sure all bystanders are at a safe distance from the launch site.
- Never attempt to launch homemade fireworks or explosives. These are extremely dangerous and can kill you!
- Respect age restrictions provided by the fireworks manufacturer.
- Never launch fireworks from a glass or metal container.
- Light fireworks one at a time.
- Don’t even think about pointing fireworks at another person
Following these tips can keep you and your family safe this July 4th! Have a fun and safe celebration!