Houston-area Baby Boomers are aging and with that population growth, more and more seniors are affected by arthritis. Learning to manage the disease takes a co0rdinated effort of observing a healthful exercise and diet program while following a physician-managed regimen. Please note these helpful tips below:
- Maintain your ideal body weight to avoid joint stress
- Use care when lifting heavy objects
- Avoid sitting still for long periods of time. If you must sit for extended periods, shift your body and flex key areas
- Follow a healthy diet that includes omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C and other oxidants, folic acid and other healthy diet ideas such as reducing red meats and not smoking.
- A regular exercise program that includes flexibility, aerobic and strengthening exercises will help protect vulnerable joints.
Please view this fifth video in a series of seven where you can learn more about management tips and available resources.
ditionally, the Arthritis Foundation offers several resources for healthful diet and exercise programs. Specifically, you may wish to reference a book, “Walk with Ease”, which outlines meal plans, walking programs and other tips for managing arthritis.
A visit to a Houston-area medical supply stores can provide you with an overview of equipment that makes coping with arthritis a bit more comfortable. For instance, arthritis-friendly products can be found at Walgreens Pharmacy and other neighborhood pharmacies.
If you have additional tips and information that you find helpful for coping with arthritis, please add your comments below.
We hope this was helpful. If you have any questions or if you know of a senior that could benefit from our vast array of home care services in Houston, please call us at 832 379-4700 or email us. We accept most long term care insurance as payment and have a full time staff supervising more than 100 quality-trained home care personnel covering the Houston, Texas area.