The holiday season in Houston benefits from mild temperatures, an excellent arts district, and top-quality restaurants. The mild holiday temperatures and wide range of activities provide so many opportunities for you to share a special activity or event with your senior loved ones or family friends.
And although the holiday season has long been known to be stressful for many of us and shopping for our senior family members can add to that holiday stress. The reality is that most of our parents and other loved ones have spent a lifetime collecting favorite mementos, household goods, and knick-knacks. Our senior friends often look forward to special outings or events made special just for them.
Cut through the holiday bustle and consider giving the gift of time this season. Select an activity or event that allows you to share precious time together and shared memories during this hurried season.
The Gift of Time Suggestions for Senior Adults Include:
• An afternoon at the symphony .
• A trip to the neighborhood hairdresser, barber or manicurist.
• A leisurely trip to the local market for special holiday treats.
• An afternoon of baking or candy making.
• An evening drive to view holiday lights and admire the city’s decorations.
• A delivery of home-baked treats and meals for the freezer and pantry.
• Lawn service, housekeeping, or a handyman for a day (perfect for all those odd jobs).
• A morning pursuing a hobby such as backyard bird watching.
• An afternoon decorating your senior’s home for the holidays or addressing holiday cards. This is a perfect time to reminisce with your parents about keepsake decorations or share with your children a few traditions of generations’ past.
The gift of time allows an adult child the opportunity to give back to their parents that unhurried, generous companionship that we all enjoy — a special treat for everyone!